Who Killed Captain Alex is an action movie produced in Wakaliwood, an ultra low-budget studio in Kampala, Uganda. Production began in late 2009 in the ghettos of Nateete. Filmmaker Nabwana Isaac Godfrey Geoffrey (IGG) was inspired by Hong Kong action films, and also Hollywood action movies. The movie trailer was released on YouTube in January 2010, and has been viewed 2.6 million times, while the movie has been viewed 1.1 million times on YouTube. In Uganda, audiences go to video halls where VJs narrate over a feature film, translating the dialogue and adding their own commentary - making low budget films with VJ commentary like cult films. A version of Who Killed Captain Alex? released online includes an English VJ commentary that adds in running gags about the characters.
Why It Rocks
- Good characters.
- Funny commentary made by VJ Emmie.
- The acting is good.
- It was made in "Harsh condition" (as stated in movie intros), the computer graphics was made by assembled computer made of scrap.
- It cost only $200 to make but is surprisingly well done.
- Great choreography for the fight scenes.
- Overall hilarious and comedic.
- It was released for free worldwide.
Bad (but so good) Qualities
- Graphics, though it's impressive for $200 budget.
- Cheesy plot.
- Awkward, yet hilarious dialogue.
- Some music is ripped off from 2002 game Alien Shooter and other movies.