The Little Mermaid is a 1989 Disney animated movie. It provided its company one of the major successes at the box office and among critics and audiences. It stars Jodi Benson as the voice of Ariel the little mermaid.
Ariel is a young mermaid who is curious to know how the life of the humans who live on the surface is. After she falls in love with a man of the surface who she see while on an exploration to the surface, she is tricked into seeking the advice of the sea witch Ursula, unknowingly putting her world in great danger.
Why It Rocks
- It is the first film in the Disney Renaissance, therefore the first quality movie after a streak of movies that were mildly received by critics and audiences.
- Very interesting characterization and use of each character, like the entertaining crab Sebastian and the creepy sea witch Ursula.
- While the animation is as good as every Disney movie of that time, this movie in particular shows that great details were put into depicting under water movements.
- Like most Disney movies, it provides good entertainment for children and adults alike.
- Quality soundtrack that has some of his highlights in the calypso tuned song "Under the Sea".
- It features a careful selected cast of voice actors.
- It features excellently drawn and colored backgrounds, especially the sub-marine ones.
- The movie is hand-painted colored, amazingly showing that a great and passionate work was put into it.
- It's sequel made in 2000 was beyond terrible.