The Lion King is a 1994-2004 American animated musical trilogy produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The original film is the 32nd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. The story takes place in a kingdom of lions in Africa and was influenced by William Shakespeare's Hamlet. Development of The Lion King began in 1988 and Production began in 1991. The film was produced during a period known as the Disney Renaissance. The Lion King was directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff, produced by Don Hahn, and has a screenplay credited to Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts, and Linda Woolverton. Its original songs were written by composer Elton John and lyricist Tim Rice, and original scores were written by Hans Zimmer.
A young lion Prince is cast out of his pride by his cruel uncle, who claims he killed his father. While the uncle rules with an iron fist, the prince grows up beyond the savannah, living by a philosophy: No worries for the rest of your days. But when his past comes to haunt him, the young Prince must decide his fate: will he remain an outcast, or face his demons and become what he needs to be?
Why it Rocks
- Disney animation in its purest form.
- It was the most successful full-length animated movie in the universe.
- The movie features talented voice actors.
- Catchy songs that stay true to the African culture such as "Circle of Life", "Be Prepared", "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "Hakuna Matata".
- The film intelligently uses pathos and never gets corny.
- Interesting and well-developed characters the likes of Mufasa and the comic relievers Timon and Pumbaa. Also, Scar is a convincing villain.
- Mufasa's death is a very emotional scene.
- A simple and well-executed story with pretty decent humor makes this movie enjoyable by adults and children alike.
- It spawned two sequels that follow it, are both pretty funny, memorable to watch, and are very faithful to the first movie and two tv spinoffs.
- It delivers strong life messages about facing your troubled past.
- The Hyenas can be annoying at times.
- Potty humor in the form of Pumbaa’s farts.
- The Lion King was animated by newly hired animators, and had a high belief among a majority of Disney's top animators (who opted to animate Pocahontas) that the movie would fail at the box office.
- Ironically, the movie would be Disney's top animated hit and the biggest animated movie of all time.