Sonic the Hedgehog and his sidekicks Tails and Knuckles the Echidna are determined to thwart a plan that would turn their Land of the Sky into the equivalent of the Land of Darkness, which lurks beneath the surface. So they plow through to the center of the planet and the ancient city of Robotropolis to do righteous battle. The big question of the day is whether the usually evil Dr. Robotnik is telling the truth for once or sending the good guys into a trap.
Why it Rocks
- Very smooth animation, even for direct-to-video standards.
- The animation is similar to Sonic CD, in which the animation was quite amazing.
- A intense fight scene with Sonic and Metal Sonic.
- A few cool one-liners that would become internet memes soon, like "Shut up, Tails!" or "You know what I'm gonna do, but that's not going to help you because I know everything you're gonna do! Strange, isn't it?"
- Likable and awesome characters like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik and even Metal Sonic.
- Many funny moments. For example, Robotnik (or Eggman, depending on how you call him) uses two missiles, but one of them was the rabbit that successfully hit the Tornado, when the turtle missile moves very slow.
- It follows the source material with few minor changes.
- Metal Sonic also later reappears as a redeemed character named Shard the Metal Sonic in the Sonic comic series.
- Excellent soundtrack, as it was originally going to feature the soundtrack but it was dropped due to poor sales for the Japanese release.
- Sad and touching moment when Sonic tries to save Metal Sonic, but Metal Sonic refuses and says "There is only one Sonic",.
- Sara is really annoying in every part of the movie, much like Princess Elise from Sonic 2006.
- The English voice acting is terrible, as almost all the characters have been miscasted.
- The scene where Sonic gives Eggman the middle finger, and the scene with Tails touching Sara's breasts is extremely inappropiate for a kids movie.