Logan is a 2017 American post-apocalyptic superhero drama film directed by James Mangold inspired by 2010's Old Man Logan and starring Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart as Wolverine and Charles Xavier in their final roles as these characters, it also stars newcomer Dafne Keen as Laura Kinney / X-23.
It is the final movie in 20th Century Fox's X-Men series, as the rights to the franchise were purchased by Disney.
Why It Rocks
- Unlike most superhero movies which are commonly in the action-comedy genre, Logan is a drama thriller about accepting one's death, just using superheroes to deliver its message in the comics.
- Wolverine is finally shown in his berserker glory.
- X-23 is introduced and she is a badass character helped by Dafne Keen's quiet and calm yet fierce performance.
- Despite the film's content it isn't completely about bloodshed and swearing, the film actually has positive messages about family and life such as the dinner scene, it also has Christian elements included (such as Eden's name and the Munson Family).
- Has a pretty meta moment where Logan looks at a fictional X-Men comic that has him, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Colossus, and Professor X and says it's "Ice cream for bedwetters".
- A grand finale to two of superhero cinema's greatest characters: Wolverine and Charles Xavier.
- Donald Pierce is a fun addition to the movie.
- Great soundtrack, featuring Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" and his cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.
- Realistic special effects.
The film was released on March 3, 2017 and received critical acclaim from critics and audiences considered by many to be the best X-Men movie and one of the greatest superhero movies of all time many favorably comparing to The Dark Knight. To some people, it was more favorable compared to X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine.