Akira is a 1988 Anime film directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. It was critically acclaimed by critics and has 2 English dubs, one by Steamline Pictures and one by Geneon Entertainment.
In Tokyo in July 1988, the city is destroyed by a psychic singularity, initiating World War III and its reestablishment as Neo-Tokyo. By 2019, a year before the XXXII Olympics, sedition and gang violence has grown. One night, Shōtarō Kaneda has his bōsōzoku gang, the Capsules, battle their rivals, the Clowns. During the brawl, Kaneda's friend, Tetsuo Shima, crashes to avoid Takashi, a psychic esper who fled from a secret government laboratory. Colonel Shikishima of the Japan Self-Defense Forces, assisted by esper Masaru, escorts Takashi home and hospitalizes Tetsuo. When Kaneda and his gang are interrogated, he encounters Kei, a terrorist belonging to a local resistance, and arranges for her release alongside the Capsules.
Why It Rocks
- Amazing story
- Great characters
- Very good animation, even by 1980's standards
- Japanese/Genon English dub is very well done
- It was considered an Anime film classic
- Even though Steamline's English voice acting was poorly done. They kept it fully uncut
- It ended in a certain point of the Manga. It wasn't fully adapted
- Steamline's English dub acting was poorly done